"How much of human life is lost in wait?" - said by the character Ox in the lastest Indian Jones. It's quite a question to ponder. What would we regret not doing today because we were waiting for the right time?

Saturday, May 17, 2008

What Kind of Sounds Turn You On?? (or, omg, she soo did not just ask that!)

Sounds are everywhere. Tick tock, swish, swash, cling a ling, ding a ling (is that a sound?). We have words for the sounds and noises that are emitted 24/7. We can even buy white noise machines. I don't even know what white noise machines are or really even what white noise is for that matter. I always think of the t.v. when you don't get any reception, but who'd want to buy something annoying like that??

But be that as it may, sound gets our blood flowing. For some it's the sound of jazz; perhaps a little Joan Jett; or maybe a bit of alternative rock. For others, its the simple sound of their husband running the vacuum cleaner that makes them go wild. I don't think there is one person in our country that isn't affected by sound in one way or another. It is so much a part of our lives that I'm not sure we really even realize or acknowledge how much it affects us. When I was dumped last year, sound caused me horrible pain. My heart literally hurt. I couldn't listen to music for about a year. Every song touched me and brought about uncontrollable tears. Tell me, how the hell does any song by Air Supply make you cry??
Ok, so what kind of sounds turns me on? The sound of silence. No cars, no planes, no phones, no people yelling and certainly no destructive construction. Silence the way our Mother intended it to be. The trill of the red-winged black bird as it searches for its mate, the whistle of the wind as it caresses my face, the insect symphony in the star illuminated night sky. Those are the sounds that send chills down my spine. They make me feel and let me not be afraid to feel. Mother Nature has never made me cry, never made me feel lost. It's never given up on me or told me I can't do something. Nor has it ever left me without an explanation. When I need her, I only have to close my eyes and listen and there she is. Through this silence, I can be the quirky me that I am, unjudged but accepted.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Dear Tamara,

Your blog is very interesting and quirky--I like it. I think you should continue to express yourself in this way or even write a book. I like the sound of my dog breathing when she's very tired. It's adorable! Keep up the good work! LT