"How much of human life is lost in wait?" - said by the character Ox in the lastest Indian Jones. It's quite a question to ponder. What would we regret not doing today because we were waiting for the right time?

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Is The Perfect Man a Myth Like the Loch Ness Monster?


I was watching Grey's Anatomy on abc.com this morning. In one scene a woman with a brain tumor appears to have found her perfect man - in her mind - in her fantasies. So it made me think. Does the perfect man exist or does he only exist in my head?

I don't think I'm asking for much when it comes to adult male/female relationships. You say you're going to call, so you call. You say we're going to go out, so we go out. Are you with me so far? Simple - you would think. Reality is, at least in my world, that when a guy says he's going to call me, he never seems to call me in this lifetime. Maybe he intended to call me - at that moment. Maybe he's just a big liar and never intended to call me at all. Personally, I'd rather have someone say, "I'm not going to call you, now, tomorrow or in the next century." Thanks, I won't be waiting by the phone.
But the "deeper" question is, the more "profound' question is, where do you find a guy who does what he says he's going to do? Picture this scenario. Ring, ring. Hello? Oh hi (he called). That whole picking up the phone thing must not be a dominant trait in the male dna. Funny, we can detect microscopic amounts of dna on a dress and try to impeach a president over it, but we can't get a guy to call. Go figure.

But perhaps you think I'm too picky. I don't think I am. I don't require a lot of things in my life - material or otherwise. I like to spend a lot of time outdoors, as much as possible in good weather. I would like someone that likes that too. I want someone that understands my desire to be surrounded by animal friends. Shouldn't be too horrible. I have kids, so must be family friendly. And last but not least, make a really good effort at being environmentally responsible. Oh and I suppose must like going to the movies and laughing. Personal hygiene is also important. And no smoking - sick. Anything else? He should probably also be straight considering I probably just described a very nice gay man.

So, like the Loch Ness Monster, or Big Foot, where is this "perfect" man? (I hear of occasional sightings but they usually are anecdotal - not sure if any photos exist in this century.) And I don't mean a man without flaws, we all have them. I mean the perfect man, for me. I suppose he's out there ... somewhere. Wandering around in the woods or sitting at the river's edge, taking in the sights and smells - probably 4000 miles away in some remote picturesque village, speaking a language I can't understand - wondering where his perfect woman is. (Hey, I'm over here!)

When we do come across the "perfect" person, will we know him (or her) when we see him (or her)? In this fast paced, anonymous world that we live in, do we really get enough time to find out who's standing next to us in line at the store? If we strike up conversation with someone, are we an annoyance or a welcomed bit of conversation? Or, are we so rushed trying to live our lives, that we are blind to what's right in front of us? Good question.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I prefer to call you "Miss Duck" or "T" if you don't mind.... ;-)