"How much of human life is lost in wait?" - said by the character Ox in the lastest Indian Jones. It's quite a question to ponder. What would we regret not doing today because we were waiting for the right time?

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Whose Rules Are We Playing By Anyway?

Back in the olden days, after your date bought you dinner and perhaps a movie, the "least" you could do was sleep with this said date. Fast forward a generation or two. The year is 2008. We are no longer "obligated" to throw our date a "thank you fest" on the first date, courtesy of our pride and self respect, simply because he bought us dinner. Things sure have changed since then. Or have they?

Somewhere in the last 20 to 40 years, our fore-mothers have duked it out with the masses to win us equal rights and in doing so also won us ... two extra dates. Instead of having to "give it up" on the first date in exchange for food and possibly some viewing pleasure, we're supposed to let it all hang out on the third date. Whatever. I don't think so.

So my question is, who the hell made up these ridiculous rules and how did they achieve such mass sex appeal? One of my favorite lines is from the movie Clueless. "I spend more time picking out shoes, and those just go on my feet." So why do so many women still feel obligated to reward a man with their bodies after only three dates? Why three dates and not ten? Or why three and not, I don't know, after you've gotten to know the person at bit. My non-scientific hypothesis is that there is a whole lot of buyers remorse out there. Is there anyone on this planet that has actually regretted not sleeping with someone? I don't know of any.

When are we as a collective group going to realize that our self respect is worth way more than that medium rare steak that we ate for dinner even if it did come with garlic mashed potatoes? And I'm talking both ways here. I don't have much respect for guys who are trying to cop feels on women they don't even know. Where is their self respect? Are they equating their self worth with a dinner as well? Or do they simply think they're entitled to human dessert afterwards? Uh, hello, do I look like a chocolate mousse? Frankly, I think I'm entitled to living by my own rules and if you don't like them, well, thanks for the dinner but you'll have to get your dessert from Whole Foods.
photos were random pics off the internet.

No comments: