"How much of human life is lost in wait?" - said by the character Ox in the lastest Indian Jones. It's quite a question to ponder. What would we regret not doing today because we were waiting for the right time?

Saturday, June 7, 2008

When Your Friend Lies Dying

**update** My Thor passed away sometime during the night of 6-10. I hope wherever he is, he has lots of things to pee on and lots of cats to chase, because those were his favorite things to do.

**UPDATE on bottom**
About two years ago I met a nice older gentleman about 60 years my senior. He was rather dark haired for his age, but had the telltale graying going on around his face. His hearing wasn't too good and he was completely blind. I spent just a half an hour with him but knew that I really liked him. The next week, I invited him to live with me. He also had a friend that he really liked and I didn't want to leave her alone without her friend, so I invited her to stay with us as well. They both took me up on the idea.

The two of them, Thor and Freckles took to their new surroundings quickly. They made themselves at home and became a part of the family. Now, Thor isn't the best behaved and has to be condemned to the kitchen. I'm not sure if it's his age or just poor training on his previous owners part. But it is what it is. He puts a smile on my face.

One of the things that really enamored me to this crumungeon, is the first time I knelt down to take a look at him, he got all crazy and rubbed his head all over me and began rolling around. He actually has facial expressions unlike his friend Freckles who has a perpetual Droopy Dog look.

I figure he's about 15-17 years old by now. Probably born during the time of the Roman Empire. And I fear his time is about running out. During the last few weeks he has been rapidly degrading. He didn't want to take a walk and is having a really hard time getting around. This humid weather has not been good to him. You are probably wondering why I don't just put him down. Well, I don't believe in it -- unless the animal is truly suffering. Just because an animal is old, doesn't automatically condemn him to the vet's needle. A little tylenol goes a long way when the legs are a little stiff. We are such a disposable society when it comes to our pets. He's old = kill him.

So here he lies in my kitchen on a big dog bed, breathing short rapid breaths. That's usually a sign that life will be leaving him within the next 24 hours or so. I've adopted many old dogs and know the signs. Although he did that last week too and I didn't expect him to last the night. But he did manage to live another day and pee on the floor. But today is a bit different. I offered him some turkey and he didn't want any. It didn't stop Freckles, she ate it right up.

So I'm going to sit with him for a while, pet his head, give him some water if he wants some, take his collar off (you never know if it's irritating at this point) and then I'll just leave him alone and let him go. When you let your friend die naturally at home, the last gift your pet gives you, is that they don't let you see them die.

UPDATE - Well, Thor never ceases to amaze me. His body might be weak, but his spirit is strong. He's gotten up and is standing. I guess he feels his work here is not done - yet.

No comments: